Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Reflection on PTSD

In my family I have a connection with PTSD because my grandfather fought, and four of my great uncles fought. One of my uncles actually I thought might have had PTSD because whenever anyone one mentioned war to him he would distance himself from the conversation. I heard about one of his experiences in the war which was when he was serving there was a battle and teenager was fighting and he shot my uncle and my great uncle had to shoot him even though he was a minor, and because he was in the war. My great uncle was then discharged because he got shot, and he was sent home with a purple heart, but many of his family members realized that he had changed because he was more closed of from most people and he never wanted to talk about his experiences in the war and with the teenager. So what I read about post-traumatic stress disorder it would point to him having PTSD because he really was changed by that and he never really was the same. When I was researching I saw some stories that reminded me of my great uncles story, like the story of when guys that came back from the war In Iraq seemed distant to their friends and family and they developed alcohol addiction and drug addiction the alcohol addiction and drug addiction did not really had to do with my great uncles story, but the distant from family and friends is almost exactly like my great uncles experience. That experience with the teenager really must have traumatized him because the thought of having to put someone down that young is something I cannot even imagine doing. That would terrorize someone inside forever because that is something that cannot be undone, it will remain in you forever. That is something you would do all the time in the War, that is why I believe all of the the people who have had experience with fighting and killing the war, if they are returned home they are changed they know inside what they have done and that is what causes them to have alcohol addiction and drug addiction it causes them to sometimes even to commit suicide so they can maybe repent for what they have done in the War, that is the true face of PTSD it makes men women go crazy, it destroys them inside.

4 comments:

  1. Your uncle's story was very interesting. It makes me realize just how many people close to us can be effected by the war. Enormous wars like World Wars 1 and 2 can be seen as some sort of distant, horrible thing that doesn't really directly influence us now. But your uncle's story reminds us just how close PTSD is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really makes you wonder how many people out there have similar stories to your uncle that they are holding inside. A really good family friend of mine has seen combat, and one of my grandfathers was on a carrier ship during WWII, although I do not know how much contact he had with fighting. Your uncle's story is a sad but true reminder that those who fight are not only risking their physical safety, but even compromising the most personal parts of themself, their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is very interesting, and because it is in your family, it makes one realize how legitimate PTSD really is. It is good that your family members are doing well, but it is very unfortunate that they had these experiences which they will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting because it is so personal to you. This shows how grave PTSD and similar war related disorders can be, and the risk that is involved in joining the army.

    ReplyDelete