Friday, February 19, 2010

My Dadaist Poem

The idea of Dadaism is cool but weird at the same time. I decided to try it out for myself! I made a Dadaist poem from a random article in a magazine, using these very simple instructions:

TO MAKE A DADAIST POEM:
Take some newspaper.
Take some scissors.
Choose from this paper an article of the length you want to make you poem.
Cut out the article.
Next carefully cut out each of the words that makes up this article and put them all in a bag.
Shake Gently.
Next take out each cutting one after the other.
Copy conscientiously in the order in which they left the bag.
The poem will resemble you.
And there you are – an infinitely original author of charming sensibility, even though unappreciated by the vulgar herd.

My Dadaist Poem

Can simple self you sacrifice?
In true hair beauty ponytail prom story,
Easy, able, formal should show looks who worry.
That sweep off brilliant makeup,

Have content, says superpretty.
Polished of this wear be you overdone accessories,
Though made meltdown accoutrements whose ton is too featured,
Dance won’t feel getting your girl.

Yet headband you prom,
Gossip even if prom makeup created.
And if you’re a heart’s according,
May normally style affair you.

And remember sort are regularly mid seconds,
To prom designer look don’t a crystal but about a hairstyle.
As if your doesn’t have,
You the hair, says your face.

Personal don’t artist girl and aren’t,
On was 30 mean your on for to of you’ll be a.

I expected this all to be gibberish, but it actually makes some sort of sense. Some lines you might even call poetic! “If you’re a heart’s according,” or “Look don’t a crystal but about a hairstyle.” There’s even some alliteration: “Simple self you sacrifice.” Weird!
Does this poem resemble me? Maybe. It’s definitely girly. But then again, the article I picked (randomly) was from Teen Vogue about how to get ready before prom, so I guess that was to be expected. I added punctuation in certain places and broke it up into lines and stanzas so it would be easier to read, but other than that I didn’t cheat! This was exactly how I pulled the words out of the bag! The last line is sort of gibberish, because I think the shorter words fell to the bottom of the bag.
I don’t know if a true Dadaist would analyze their poem, but I’m not going to try and discover the deeper meaning from it. But I can see how a Dadaist could call this art, and then not feel any attachment to it. Seeing the final result after having fun creating the poem is interesting, but not very entertaining for too long. It’s not like I slaved over making this poem for hours, trying to find the perfect rhyme scheme and rhythm. It’s kind of refreshing to make a poem that is completely effortless and meaningless at first glance. I guess it’s the Dadaist philosophy to be able to appreciate a completely random assortment of words. It’s fun! I recommend making your own Dadaist poem!

No comments:

Post a Comment